Sarson ka saag
Makes 4 servings
5 cups washed and chopped mustard leaves
5 cups washed and chopped spinach
1 1/2 tbsp. roughly chopped green chillies
1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 tsp hing
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dhania- jeera, optional
Salt to taste
- Steam the mustard leaves, spinach leaves for 5-6 mins, mix well.
- Strain using a strainer and drain well.
- Blend in a mixer with green chillies to a coarse mixture using ½ cup of water. Keep aside.
- Heat the kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the garlic, little water ginger and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and again sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the mustard leaves-spinach mixture, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with makai ki roti.
Contributor : Saee Bapat