- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour (if you prefer gluten free use jowar or bajra flour)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp dried methi/kasoori methi
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp ajwain
- Rock salt as per taste
- Soak the walnuts for 2-4hrs and grind into a fine paste with very little water
- Mix all the ingredients with the walnut paste and knead a dough using little water at a time. Be careful don’t make a very soft dough.
- Cover and rest the dough for 20minutes
- Make a small ball. Roll out into a thin roti and make small circles with a cookie cutter or any small round jar lid. Place these on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven at 200C and bake the mathri for 5-7 minutes till the edges are brown. Store in an airtight container. These usually last for 8-10days.
- Variation- if you are very conscious about use of nuts then you can replace walnuts with seeds like sesame or sunflower.
- Note- please keep an eye out while baking…these cook really quickly.
Contributor: Madhura Vayal