Mushrooms are a great source of many minerals such as selenium, copper, phosphorus and zinc. They are low on calories and high on protein. I love mushrooms, especially in this soup because they work as a great meat replacement!
- 4 cups button mushroom chopped really fine,
- 1 cup onion finely chopped,
- 2 tsp grated garlic
- 5-6 strands of fresh/dried rosemary (any other herb will do in case rosemary is not available),
- 1 cup vegetable stock,
- 1 tbsp brown rice flour
- salt and chilli flakes to taste
- cashew cream as per taste (optional)
- Mix a bit of salt on the onion and garlic and wait for 2 minutes till their water is released.
- They can now be sauteed on wok on low flame till translucent/light golden. Splash a bit of water from time to time.
- Add the chilli flakes in. Keep stirring the onions till light golden.
- Add the mushrooms, rosemary, and the vegetable stock. Let the mixture cook till mushrooms are half done.
- Mix a bit of water with the brown rice flour. Ensure it is smooth. Add this to the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes more. you’ll know its done, when the flour thickens a little.
- Now take a part of this gravy. blend it in a blender and add it back to the soup to further thicken it. Add salt to taste.
- Creamy mushroom soup is ready:)
- If you like it extra creamy, feel free to add cashew cream as per your taste.
- Serve hot!
- Another variation you could do is to blend the entire mushrooms instead of a part and make it a thick soup with no pieces..
- Variation no.2 – slice the mushrooms instead of finely chopping. Follow the same method and use it as a gravy with rice, noodles or quinoa.
- When doing gravy, you could also add other vegetables such as zucchini, broccoli etc.
- Hope you all enjoy!!!
Contributor: “Sharan for Mom ” programme